Thursday, February 12, 2009

On Watching an Amaryllis Bloom

On Watching an Amaryllis Bloom
A wild patience has taken me this far… Adrienne Rich

A patience expectant,
that is learning
by fingering shapes imagined
an artful piecing
of what has been
since the beginning,
and thought that is now,
and wonder at what could be;
while, oh glory,
intently, purposefully,
on the real:

the progressive
trumpeting of
blooming amaryllis jazz
that deepens daily
my hope in beauty.


(image from


Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure by what path I made it to your blog but I was truly enchanted - by your words,choice of art, and reflective musings
I, too, like fountain pens
and poetry, and thinks that move me
"Consider the Lilies" - yes, of course, that is what led me - something I clearly recall considering since age 8
and now 52
at 18 walked the "religious" path
and now, on occasion, sneaks a view with one eye
Thank you for the lovely view
Diane in Maine
who once lived near NYC

MperiodPress said...

Diane, welcome, welcome! Thank you for your comment. I am glad you stopped whatever path.

Enjoy the lilies you encounter, blooming portents of coming glory.